Reasonable and Necessary is one of the key factors in determining if a support or service should be funded by the NDIS for a participant. Reasonable and Necessary can be a self-guided choice but it must be related to a participant’s disability. What might be deemed reasonable and necessary for one participant will be very different for another.
What is Reasonable & Necessary and Why Does it Matter?
Reasonable and Necessary is a term used to decide what kind of funded supports you might need. Reasonable is something that’s considered to be fair (value for money), and Necessary is something you need because of your disability (helps you pursue your goals and aspirations).
There are 5 key factors for determining reasonable & necessary supports:
1. It must be related to your disability
2. It must not include day-to-day living costs not related to your disability support needs, such as groceries
3. It should represent value for money
4. It must be likely to be effective and work for you
5. It should take into account support you get from other government services, your family, carers, networks and community.
Types of supports that can be funded by the NDIS
• Help with personal care activities
• Transport that helps you to participate in community, social, economic and daily life activities
• Help to find or maintain employment
• Therapeutic supports, such as, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech pathology or behaviour support
• Assistance with household tasks so you can maintain your home
• Aids or equipment to help you be more independent
• Home modification design and construction
• Mobility equipment
• Vehicle modifications
How Apoio can help
Apoio – it simply means Support! Our reason for being is to support you the participant, your family, your providers, and the whole NDIS community. At Apoio we don’t just manage the financial side of your plan and pay your bills. We are experts in Plan Management.
If you want to know more or just to ask whether a support or product might be funded, give Apoio a call and one of our plan managers will be able to assist you further. Call 1300 136 999
or email [email protected]
Apoio – Your Plan, Your Community, Your Choice.